Usergroups? EasyPHPBB
PHPBB the quick and easy way.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Usergroups?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unreconstructed
EasyPHPBB Newbie
EasyPHPBB Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Usergroups? Reply with quote

Well, to start with can anyone tell me what exactly a usergroup is?

-- George Orwell
hops
EasyPHPBB Newbie
EasyPHPBB Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Usergroups? Reply with quote

Unreconstructed wrote:
Well, to start with can anyone tell me what exactly a usergroup is?

I've created a usergroup or my forum for all mods, but i don't see the point in them. What do they do?
gxadmin
EasyPHPBB Member
EasyPHPBB Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Usergroups? Reply with quote

hops wrote:
I've created a usergroup or my forum for all mods, but i don't see the point in them. What do they do?

A "usergroup" is a way of controlling access to different areas of your forum. An example...

Suppose that all of us are interested in, er... tortoise racing. You create a new discussion board for all the fans of tortoise racing, and lots of people join. There are a number of different sections on the new forum, to discuss various aspects of the excitingly competitive tortoise scene.

So far, so good. BUT...

SOME of the members are those people who actually organize and judge the races. It would be good if we could have a discussion area for them, where they can plan the next series of races, without the rest of the members knowing about the surprise.

We create the new forum section, but set it so that it can only be accessed by members of the "Judges" usergroup - and all the Judges are made members of that usergroup.

This is a lot easier to administer than setting individual permissions for every person, on every form section. It's a short-cut.

Result: tortoise racing gains in popularity hand-over-fist. There is TV coverage, a world championship, tobacco company sponsorship, the works.

Excellent. Smile

-GxAdmin.
Jesse
EasyPHPBB Addict
EasyPHPBB Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Message Edited By Nightmare]

http://www.krypton.co.nr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EasyPHPBB Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: