Question re permissions and the term "PRIVATE" EasyPHPBB
PHPBB the quick and easy way.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Question re permissions and the term "PRIVATE"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleMischief
EasyPHPBB Newbie
EasyPHPBB Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Question re permissions and the term "PRIVATE" Reply with quote

Hi, newbie to the support forum. Read the FAQs, and the required sticky. Have two questions.

My forum is http://treehouse.easyphpbb.com

It is a forum for people who have Multiple Sclerosis, a disease of the
central nervous system.

Because we speak of confidential things, privacy is important to us.
We don't want to be googled, we don’t want insurance companies
invading our privacy, or to be outed to employers.

Here are my questions:

1. Some time ago you were asked if it was possible to hide the member list from non-registered members, and the answer was no. Is that still the case?

2. We have a newbie screening system to implement that would give
new members access only to an intro portion of our board.

I would need to give these newbies a "permission" different from my full board members.

Can you tell me what the permission category "PRIVATE" means?

Does someone designated "PRIVATE" have full access to the entire board?

If so, I could designate newbies as "REG" and restrict their access, and designate full board members as "PRIVATE" with full access to the board.

I need to differentiate between "ALL" which includes GUESTS and full members, so can't simply use ALL for full members.

I hope that was clear? Wink

Many thanks.

Dottye/LittleMischief
LittleMischief
EasyPHPBB Newbie
EasyPHPBB Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Perhaps a quicker question to answer & I'll experiment? Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the term "Private" means when it comes to privileges?

Thanks!
LittleMischief
EasyPHPBB Newbie
EasyPHPBB Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured the second question out through trial and error.

You can use "Private" to make portions of the board inaccessible to certain groups.

So I've done that, limiting newbies' access to only an introductory area of the Board, which works well for me as newbies go through the screening process.
Against The Storm
EasyPHPBB Newbie
EasyPHPBB Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleMischief wrote:

You can use "Private" to make portions of the board inaccessible to certain groups.

So I've done that, limiting newbies' access to only an introductory area of the Board, which works well for me as newbies go through the screening process.
How did you do accomplish this? I have a whole category I want to be private so that I & only & (And anyone whom I may select in the future) can post there.

I produce & write a text-based online webseries with my username as the title & am looking for a way to use this board (As well as a closed blog & my other board) to get storyline ideas posted online almost as soon as possible before I lose them in a case of Writer's Block or something worse. This way, they are well preserved & backed up even if I lose my Internet service.

Cheers Very Happy
LittleMischief
EasyPHPBB Newbie
EasyPHPBB Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against The Storm wrote:
LittleMischief wrote:

How did you do accomplish this? I have a whole category I want to be private so that I & only & (And anyone whom I may select in the future) can post there.

I produce & write a text-based online webseries with my username as the title & am looking for a way to use this board (As well as a closed blog & my other board) to get storyline ideas posted online almost as soon as possible before I lose them in a case of Writer's Block or something worse. This way, they are well preserved & backed up even if I lose my Internet service.

Cheers Very Happy

Hi, and welcome!

I received your PM and responded with instructions that I hope will be helpful.

Sorry for the earlier confusion -- my fault entirely. Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EasyPHPBB Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: